Can you, like us, hardly wait for the first challenge of the new cycling season? Then count down with us to Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Sportive, the opening classic of our cycling season! This tour, filled with cycling tradition, will set the Etixx Classics Tour in motion as is customary. On 29 February, the day that makes a leap year what it is, it is still up to Greg Van Avermaet and his fellow racers to conquer the Muur van Geraardsbergen. But the next day, we will offer you the best of the Flemish Ardennes! A generous helping of cobblestones that you, as a true Flandrien, can conquer like no other, in combination with steep climbs through the décor of the Flemish spring classic. Cycling and racing enthusiasts definitely won't want to miss the start of this tour!
This year, all our distances will depart from Ghent, and we will also finish in that same city. The only thing you have to do? Choose your circuit now (70, 105 or 150 km) and register soon!
Feel Like a Pro
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad will give you your first cycling thrill of the new season. When the cycling gods compete for victory on Flemish slopes and uneven cobblestones, the cycling fan's eyes shine and the cycling fanatic's legs tingle. It's the first challenge for Flandriens, which nobody wants to miss. In 2019, Zdenek Stybar had no trouble with the Haaghoek and Leberg, he crossed the Muur and Kapelmuur smoothly, stayed with his companions during the ascent on the Bosberg and took off on his own in the last 3 km. Will you be as strong in 2020 as the Czech was last year? Ride Like a Pro, Feel Like a Pro!
As a true Flandrien, you must surely feel a calling, because this tour has everything you want from a spring ride. From cobblestones to Flemish climbs, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Sportive has it all. The biggest challenge is 154 km, starting and finishing in Ghent. 'T Kuipke is your starting point for a tour that was completed by the pros the day before. Kerkgate, Jagerij, Paddestraat and Haaghoek will test whether you really do love cobblestones. In between, you will stretch your legs on classics such as the Molenberg, Leberg, Berendries and Valkenberg. Your ultimate challenge lies in Geraardsbergen, with the Muur and Kapelmuur, followed by the ascent of the Bosberg. On top of that, with provisions in Oudenaarde, Brakel and Zottegem, this tour is a true showcase of the Flemish Ardennes.
Is that challenge a bit much for you at the start of a new season? You can also set off for 106 km, with a dosed amount of challenges along the way. Or if you prefer to enjoy the beautiful region between Ghent and Zottegem in a more relaxed way, you might want to sign up for a 70 km tour through the Flemish Ardennes.
Get acquainted with some legendary locations from the world of cycling below!
CLIMBS AND COBBLESTONE SECTIONS
Our sportive is moving from Ninove to Ghent in 2020. Ghent, the capital of East Flanders, is where the opening classic for cycling tourists will start and finish. So go ahead and make a wonderful Ghent weekend of it with a visit to the professional race and your own Omloop Het Nieuwsblad one day later.
You will probably be a bit out of breath when you reach the top, after a maximum gradient of 14.2% on a climb where you bump from one uneven cobblestone to the next. A true Flandrien doesn't shy away from this iconic slope that starts at that famous little bridge.
3 Haaghoek & Leberg
Even though a 1.7 km long undulating cobbled strip is waiting for you in Sint-Kornelis-Horebeke, you can still breathe a sigh of relief. You only have to conquer the Haaghoek once. The pros are challenged to no fewer than three passages over this section, with the result that a serious selection is made in the opening classic. And we mustn't forget to mention that after the Haaghoek, the "great plain", the narrow and steep Leberg, soon awaits!
(154 km - 106 km)
The circuit of the opening classic is full of household names. The Berendries is one of them. A challenging calf muscle tester in Brakel without cobblestones, but with clear figures: 940 metres of climbs, with an average incline of 7%, peaking at 12.3%.
(154 km - 106 km)
5Muur Van Geraardsbergen
Before cyclists of the longest distance gradually begin to dream of Ghent, the most iconic climb awaits in Geraardsbergen. A maximum gradient of almost 20% and 1 km of cobblestones await you on the ascent of the Muur and Kapelmuur. Enjoy the atmosphere on this stretch of cycling heaven on earth!
Atop the Kapelmuur you'll need to take a moment to get your breath back, and rightly so. Although it won't be long before the next effort comes along. One last climb on cobblestones and then towards Ghent. But be careful, you're not there yet. There's still something tasty waiting for you in the Zottegem region.
Take advantage of the provisions in Zottegem, because this challenge is still to come: A bumpy ride of 2,300 metres in length at the Paddestraat! Once you have left there, you can gradually start dreaming of the finish line in Ghent.
- Accident insurance (no helmet = not insured)
- Assistants to sign the way / the start/finish
- Plenty of provisions* at each checkpoint, offering Etixx sports nutrition and drinks, water and a wide choice of fruit and biscuits
- Technical assistance and breakdown service
- Info card showing the hills, cobblestone sections and provisions zones
- Excellent signage along the route
- Medical service at every checkpoint and at the finish
- Coffee before the race start
- Secured bicycle shed
- Changing rooms with showers
- Massage at the race finish
* Provisions on production of number plate only! Participants without a number plate will not be admitted to the race circuit.
COLLECTION OF PARTICIPATION PACKAGE
Did you register in advance? Perfect! You will receive an E-ticket upon registration, with that ticket you can get your participant pack at the Scan & Ride desks. Our Scan & Ride system allows you to get all your necessities to start your ride, without having to get off your bike!
You don't want to register in advance? No problem, you can register at the designated registration zone at the event where we will hand over your participant pack. Make sure to put your bike in the secured bicycled, that way you got all the time you need to register, without having to worry about your most precious possession.
- 150 km: 7h45 - 9h00
- 105 km: 7h45 - 10h00
- 70 km: 7h45 - 11h00
Ghent (Floraliënhal, Citadelpark 9000 Ghent)
- 150 km: 7h45 - 9h00
- 105 km: 7h45 - 10h00
- 70 km: 7h45 - 11h00
Ghent (Floraliënhal, Citadelpark 9000 Ghent)
The last provisions stand closes at 2:30 p.m. If you arrive later we will not be able to consider you as an official participant and you will be required to take the shortest route to the finish. The finish in Gent officially closes at 4:30 p.m.
Number of provisions
- 150 km: 3 provisions
- 105 km: 2 provisions
- 70 km: 1 provision
Chosen your route? Great! Please find the prices for the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Sportive below.
|Breakaway (through 17/02)||13 €||15 €||17 €|
|Peloton (after 17/02)||16 €||18 €||20 €|
It makes sense to register early!
Get off to an early start and register through 17/02. This puts you in the breakaway group and gives you a better price.
Missed the breakaway and only registered after 17/02? Not to worry. The Peloton will still apply, making this classic springtime opener a fantastic event.
* Children under 12 years of age ride for free. Registration is only possible at the event.
Please note: Your registration includes a deposit of €5 for your number plate. Deposits are returned at the finish or exchanged for an original T-shirt.
GROUP REGISTRATION (until 17/02)
- For a group registration, you must have at least 10 people (across various distances); if you are with fewer persons, your group will be cancelled and you will lose the reservation.
- Group registrations may only be done using the official online registration module. Excel lists etc. are no longer accepted.
- On the registration form, you must first create a group. You will then receive an e-mail with your group name and group code. (You can manage the group at all times with the help of this code and your chosen password (do not forget this!)). Subsequently, you can add or remove participants. Only the group leader may validate participants. You can add as many participants to your group as you wish.
- Registrations can be collected as a single package (all together) or individually. Please clearly indicate this on the registration form. If you choose to collect all race numbers together, this can only be done by the group leader. For individual collections, all participants will receive a separate confirmation e-mail with all information required to successfully collect their race number.
- Once the group is complete, the group leader must pay for the entire group. Registrations are confirmed only when the group has been submitted and paid for. At this time, NO CHANGES may be made to your group. Subsequently, changes to your group can only be made on-the-spot at the registration stand. For this, an administration fee of 5 eur will be charged per change made.
- CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE REGISTRATION MODULE
The organisers advise everyone to avoid any form of serious physical activity for which they are not adequately prepared. Make sensible choices about the distance you ride and/or the pace you set for yourself.
Anyone who aims to improve performance and compete at high intensity should see a (specialised sports) physician for a check-up. There is no requirement to produce a medical certificate.
It is up to the participant to decide how to use the information resulting from a medical check-up.
The organisers cannot be held liable in this respect.
More information about health & sports can be found here.
Exercise is fun, healthy and safe for most people. However, some people have an increased risk of problems during physical activity, which may require extra medical follow-up. If you meet one or several of the conditions below, it is recommended you contact your doctor or undergo a sports-medical examination before taking up more intensive forms of exercise:
- You are taking medication to treat high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, pulmonary disease.
- At some point you suffered from coughing, shortness of breath or other breathing disorders during or after efforts or you have asthma.
- You smoked in the past 5-10 years or you have not stopped smoking for longer than 6 months after a period of 5-10 years.
- You have high blood pressure and/or increased cholesterol value
- You fainted or became dizzy during or after an effort
- You have ever had palpitations, arrhythmias or pain in the chest during or after doing exercise or you have ever been told that you have a heart murmur
- A member of your family, younger than 55, suddenly died because of health problems (cardiovascular disease, cot death)
- You have problems of the liver, kidneys or thyroid gland, diabetes
By registering you automatically accept the general terms and conditions.
Etixx Sports Nutrition
To support you optimally during the selection of your most appropriate nutrition to help energy levels, hydration, muscle increase, recuperation,... before, during and after training and in the lead-up to a race, please have a look here.
Don't forget: a good preparation is half the battle! GOOD LUCK!
The essential Guide for cycling in Flanders
Why not stay around a bit longer? Suffer like a proper Flandrien on Flanders' famous bergs & cobbles.
Discover impressive routes, cool events, challenging bucket lists and tips to plan your stay!
Pay a visit to Flanders' famous historic cities and quench your thirst with our famous beers.
Discover Flanders like a real Flandrien!
CHARITY: VZW STOP DARMKANKER
Vzw Stop Darmkanker is a young, dynamic and independent ngo with the following motto: sharing knowledge can save lives.
DStop Darmkanker is a non-profit organisation that wishes to convince people that an early detection of colorectal cancer and bowel polyps will decrease the mortality rate by colorectal cancer drastically. Colorectal cancer is a silent killer.
Every year more than 8.500 Belgians are diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Every day, nine people die from this disease. Colorectal cancer is the second most common type of cancer for women and the third most common for men. If colorectal cancer is detected in an early stage, people have more than 90% chance to be cured. But the knowledge about colorectal cancer is unsatisfactory. More funds are needed to fight this disease.
And your contribution can be life-saving. While signing up you have the possibility to donate 5, 10 or 15 euro to vzw Stop Darmkanker.
More information on www.stopdarmkanker.be
SPORTOGRAF.COM is the official photo service of the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Sportive. These photographers have acquired a good reputation in recent years with their fully digital service and competitive prizes.
In view of the fact that they themselves are active cyclists, they have an outstanding feeling from the perspective of the participant.
Find your pictures here after the event.
We are very much interested in how you have experienced our event. Please send us your remarks, reactions or ideas. We would love to hear from you.